Mike McDonnell was a longtime member of the Irish Centre and served in many capacities on the Executive up until his death in May 1988. Mike, being in real estate at the time, had come across the building that later would become known as the “Irish Centre”. He loved and played music and was always ready to promote anything Irish. With Mike’s passing, his mother, (the late) Rose McDonnell, approached the Club with the idea of a scholarship in Mike’s name; thus the Mike McDonnell Scholarship was founded.
The scholarship was started not only in memory of Mike but to promote education and interest in the Irish culture and to encourage youth membership in the Centre. It is run and managed by a volunteer committee currently consisting of Martin Doyle (representing ISSS Executive), Anita Nixon (representing McDonnell family), and Isobel Nesdole (representing ISSS Membership). The scholarship is funded through donations and various fundraising.
● The applicant must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident;
● The applicant must be between 18-25 years of age;
● The applicant must be a full time student;
● Recipients will be limited to those accepted to a university, college or technical institution;
● The applicant must be a member, in good standings, of the Irish Sports & Social Society for the year in which the Scholarship Application applies to;
● The applicant must have held, in good standing, a membership to the Irish Sports & Social Society for at least one year immediately prior to the year in which the scholarship application applies to.
Application(s) available for pick up at the Irish Centre as of September 12, 2015
Completed application(s) must be returned to the Irish Centre by closing October 23 2015
Successful applicants will be contacted by November 7, 2015; and the Scholarship will be awarded on November 14, 2015